What the heck do we wear?
It's the #1 question I am asked right after I book a session with a client. No fear! I am here to help you and guide you through the ever daunting task of choosing wardrobe for your photo session. Ready? Let's dive in....
First things First
When in doubt keep it neutral but never matchy matchy
While I love a good pop of color nothing photographs quite as beautiful as soft and light neutrals.
- Go for colors that are lighter like whites, creams or pastels.
- Mix in other neutrals like denim or leather. I love a cute denim jacket thrown over a summer dress it's a classic look that is effortless.
- Not a fan of light colors? Black can work as well but make sure to mix in some textures or denim to break it up a bit.
- Coordinate but please don't be too matching. Nothing worse than the awkward "did you guys match on purpose?" Also, remember those embarrassing photos of you and your siblings wearing matching white shirts and khakis? Yeah...don't do that.
Clothing that fits well, Photographs well.
This is maybe the biggest rule you need to follow when picking out clothes both for women and men. To me there is nothing worse than a beautiful photo of two people in love at a great location but someones shirt is way to tight, squeezing in the wrong places, baggy pants, too long or too short items just make things look....well....cheap. Your clothing should fit PERFECTLY. You should look like you could be modeling clothing for a magazine.
- If you have parts of your body that you're not a fan of pick clothing pieces that don't emphasize that body part. For example a lot of women don't like their arms showing. I suggest that if that's the case wear something with a sleeve.
-Make sure your clothing is not pulling or tugging
- Straps that stay in place so you're not constantly fixing them
- Hemlines on skirts and dresses that are too short will be uncomfortable or may blow up in the wind. Same goes for something with a high slit. If you're not comfortable showing a lot of leg go for something with a more conservative hemline.
- Bra Staps showing. NO. Never. Sorry I'm going to be harsh but a bra strap showing is never a good look. If you choose something that needs to be worn without a bra or with a strapless bra but you're not comfortable with that choose something else.
Pants that fit. This is a big one for the guys. Baggy or loose fitting pants just don't look modern. Embrace a good pair of slim fit jeans or pants and I promise it will change your world. And you can thank me later :)
I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.
A few more tips...
REAL Client Examples
Tips for Dudes with no style
I want this shoot and the clothes you wear to be a reflection of who you are. Don't overthink things just wear what you feel good in. If you would never wear a long flowy dress then don't. The last thing I want is to be photographing the version of you that you think I want to photograph. Be you and I'll be me and together we will make some magic.
I hope this guide has helped you
Below you will find a small list of some of my favorite stores to shop at for shoots. I hope you find some amazing pieces and I can't wait for our shoot!